The remnants of the floors of the Montecassino Basilica were made in the year 1070 under Abbot Desiderius. The fragments give witness to the great marble richness and the variety of motifs used.

There are two checkerboard mosaic greyhounds on a slab of marble from Alexandria of Egypt, they were originally placed near the main altar almost guarding Saint Benedict's grave and were made in Constantinople. There are also fragments figured with animal motifs, a carving and another mosaic preserved in the Museum going back to Abbot Desiderius period.

Continuing our visit we can find pieces dating back to the Medieval Age among which, fixed to the wall, the monumental main doorposts of the Basilica which was reconstructed by Abbot Desiderius between 1066 and 1071.

The column-bearing lions from the 12th century lead the visitors into the room: they are made of stone and were traditionally placed at the church entrance as a symbol of power and faith.