Abbot Gregory Diamare's successor was Ildefonso Rea who immediately gathered around his monks. During the second anniversary of the destruction, he made an appeal on the radio where he confirmed with much realism that the journey was still long so that Montecassino could once again be as it was and that the painful parenthesis of the war could be closed. Pope Pio XII intervened several times so that everyone would be committed to the reconstruction of Montecassino and so that help would come from those who were wealthy and generous.
In January, 1949, the public work ministerial Commission decided to reconstruct the Monastery "where it was, as it was" according to a auspicious formula by Abbot Rea himself.
Once the fundamental criteria were established, the renovation work began with the financial resources from the ordinary State budget through the Public Works Ministry given the nature of the state property that the monastic buildings had after the law of expropriation of 1866,
In April, 1949, Abbot Rea was informed that the work authorization application for the reconstruction had been accepted based on the project realized by engineer Giuseppe Breccia Fratadocchi which first foresaw the realization of the abbatial church. Monk Don Angelo Pantoni helped the reconstruction plan since he, as an engineer, performed the mapping layouts at the end of the 1930s.These layouts proved to be of fundamental importance in those days.

The president of the Republic Luigi Einaudi also arrived in Montecassino in 1949. He awarded a gold medal to the town of Cassino and to the Abbey.
During the reconstruction of the Monastery in 1950, the mortal remains of Saint Benedict and Saint Scholastica were found. After being fully retrieved and analyzed, the relics were placed under the main altar.