The Museum of the Abbey

Leaving the Cathedral, we find ourselves at the Museum entrance: divided into two stories, the museum offers its visitors the testimony of various phases of the Monastery history and art.Most of the objects exhibited are the results of complex work done over time which has given life to a harmonious repertory of artworks, exhibits and other repaired and protected works, especially following the last destruction. The present location of the Museum was founded in 1980 with funds provided by the Lazio Region and continuously renovated throughout the years according to museum standards.The range of the exhibited artworks is not monothematic since the Museum has different sections in one building: the types of works present are archaelogic, artistic, historical and religious and they include a time period that goes from the 6th century BC to our times.Archaelogic section: here we can see pieces found during the excavations near the Monastery.
Medieval section: includes fragments of the ancient Abbey destroyed throughout the centuries.Section dedicated to miniatures and prints: here some examples of manuscripts and printed material kept in the abbatial archives are exhibited.Not of less importance is the section dedicated to paintings, silverware and vestments.The exhibit of Sandro Botticelli's Nativity and the room dedicated to Benedictine iconography is not of less importance .You will also find the section dedicated to the events of World War II  really interesting.For admission fees and opening hours please see link below

Visit the museum

Arte-frammenti basilica

The remnants of the floors of the Montecassino Basilica were made in the year 1070 under Abbot Desiderius. The fragments give witness to the great marble richness and the variety of motifs used.

There are two checkerboard mosaic greyhounds on a slab of marble from Alexandria of Egypt, they were originally placed near the main altar almost guarding Saint Benedict's grave and were made in Constantinople. There are also fragments figured with animal motifs, a carving and another mosaic preserved in the Museum going back to Abbot Desiderius period.

Continuing our visit we can find pieces dating back to the Medieval Age among which, fixed to the wall, the monumental main doorposts of the Basilica which was reconstructed by Abbot Desiderius between 1066 and 1071.

The column-bearing lions from the 12th century lead the visitors into the room: they are made of stone and were traditionally placed at the church entrance as a symbol of power and faith.