The spectacular 16th century tomb of Piero de' Medici was commissioned by Medici Pope Clement VII in 1539 and completed in 1559. Located up a small flight of stairs in the Presbytery area of the cathedral, the marble masterpiece is the work of several artists: Antonio da Sangallo, Antonio da Settignano, Francesco da Sangallo (cousin of Antonio da Sangallo), and Matteo Quaranta. The large wall tomb features four coat of arms along the bottom which we can recognize are those of the Medici family, characterized by six balls. In the center is a statue depicting a deceased Piero (by Francesco da Sangallo) sitting on top of a black urn. To the left and to the right of the figure of Piero are two statues: St. Peter on the left and St. Paul on the right (both by Francesco da Sangallo). Above the two statues of the saints are two medallions with St. Agatha and St. Justina (by Antonio da Settignano). There are reliefs running along the bottom of the tomb which depict episodes from St. Peter and St. Paul's lives, including a scene with St. Peter before the Emperor Nero and his own crucifixion in the background (by Matteo Quaranta).